Skip navigation
User training | Reference and search service

Library catalog

Retrievo
EDS
b-on
More
resources
Content aggregators
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:

acessibilidade

http://hdl.handle.net/10071/15433
acessibilidade
Title: The scientific performance of portuguese pharmaceutical industry: a bibliometric analysis
Authors: Martins, João Filipe dos Santos Lima Carneiro
Orientador: Mendonça, Sandro
Ramos, Ricardo
Keywords: Portuguese pharmaceutical industry
Bibliometrics
Drug Research
Scientific publication
Economia da empresa
Concorrência
Indústria farmacêutica
Avaliação do desempenho
Investigação científica
Inovação
Medicamentos
Publicação periódica
Bibliometria
Issue Date: 17-Nov-2017
Citation: MARTINS, João Filipe dos Santos Lima Carneiro - The scientific performance of portuguese pharmaceutical industry: a bibliometric analysis [Em linha]. Lisboa: ISCTE-IUL, 2017. Dissertação de mestrado. [Consult. Dia Mês Ano] Disponível em www:<http://hdl.handle.net/10071/15433>.
Abstract: The premise that leads to this investigation is that Portuguese pharmaceutical industry offers new solutions and brainpower. As this sector is usually linked to innovation and scientific progress as a way to increase competitiveness we believed that Portuguese pharmaceutical industry was more than a simple production facilities. This thesis main objective is to evaluate the scientific performance based on both qualitative and quantitative measures applying bibliometric methods. Using Scopus database, we restricted the scope of analysis to articles or reviews published in peer reviewed scientific journals in the period between 2000 and 2016. This search retrieved 435 documents, from which 94% were articles and the rest 6% reviews. We were able to define some patterns of publication among the 10 Portuguese companies considered. As expected, Bial is, by far, the company with more published articles or reviews (243), followed by Bluepharma with about one third of the documents (69 – from which 80% were published after 2011). Most of the collaborations were with national universities and most of the authors were also Portuguese enhancing the focus on national brain-power. In what concerns to quantity and quality, the total publication growth between 2008-2009, 2011- 2012 and 2014-2015 outstands among the rest of the years and the increasing quality of the journals used by Bluepharma and Hovione and the consequent growing of their citation impact should be hilighted.
A premissa que leva a esta investigação é que a indústria farmacêutica portuguesa oferece novas soluções e capacidade intelectual. Estando este setor intimamente ligado à inovação e ao progresso científico como forma de aumentar a competitividade, acreditamos que a indústria farmacêutica portuguesa é mais do que simples instalações produtivas. O objetivo principal desta tese é avaliar o desempenho científico com base em medidas qualitativas e quantitativas aplicando métodos bibliométricos. Usando a base de dados Scopus, restringimos o espectro de análise a artigos ou revisões publicados em revistas científicas revistas por pares, no período compreendido entre 2000 e 2016, sendo apresentados 435 documentos, dos quais 94% eram artigos e as restantes revisões de 6%. Foi possível definir alguns padrões de publicação entre as 10 empresas portuguesas consideradas. Como esperado, a Bial é, de longe, a empresa com mais artigos ou revisões publicados (243), seguido da Bluepharma com cerca de um terço dos documentos (69 - dos quais 80% foram publicados depois de 2011). A maioria das colaborações encontradas foram com universidades nacionais e a maioria dos autores também eram portugueses realçando a aposta no capital intelectual nacional. No que diz respeito à quantidade e à qualidade, o crescimento total do número de publicações entre 2008-2009, 2011-2012 e 2014-2015 destaca-se entre o resto dos anos e a crescente qualidade das revistas utilizadas pela Bluepharma e Hovione e o consequente crescimento do número de citações por artigo deve também ser enaltecido.
Peer reviewed: yes
URI: http://hdl.handle.net/10071/15433
Thesis identifier: 201763427
Designation: Mestrado em Economia da Empresa e da Concorrência
Appears in Collections:T&D-DM - Dissertações de mestrado

Files in This Item:
acessibilidade
File Description SizeFormat 
joao_carneiro_martins_diss_mestrado.pdf1.86 MBAdobe PDFView/Open


FacebookTwitterDeliciousLinkedInDiggGoogle BookmarksMySpace
Formato BibTex MendeleyEndnote Currículo DeGóis 

Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.